Wednesday, October 29, 2008

And this is why we live in Alaska!

My good friend Mary called me tonight about 10ish. She apologized for calling so late but told me I had to go outside and check out the lights. Up here, "the lights" is all you have to say for the Aurora Borealis. Everyone knows what you're talking about. Well, the lights were the most beautiful I've seen since we got up here years and years ago. We don't really see them much because of all the housing lights, street lights, etc. that make it hard to see the night sky. But tonight they were clear across the sky-front and back yard-and I could see them just looking out my window.
Of course I grabbed my camera and ran out to take pictures. I remember my brother Jeff on his mission--he said there was the biggest thunderstorm he'd ever seen and ran to get his camera to take pictures instead of hiding like a sane person--yeah, that's me. Can I just tell you to NEVER get so excited about seeing the lights that you run out to take pictures without gloves when it is -10! My fingers are just starting to find their mobility again. But hey, it was worth it don't ya think?




2 comments:

Jana said...

Awe that is amazing I wish I was there. Some day I want to be able to see those I am glad you got pics.

Angie said...

I still look for them. It just becomes habit. I always loved seeing the lights.